blog hero 7-1.png

Blog

Robert Smith

Recent Posts

Understanding Failure to Ensure Proactive Maintenance

By Robert Smith, July 30, 2020

In today’s highly competitive environment, eliminating unplanned downtime is more important than ever, especially when that downtime occurs during a batch that places the product at risk. Did you know “best-in-class” maintenance organizations spend 90% of their total maintenance time on proactive maintenance (planned, kitted and scheduled corrective, preventive, and predictive tasks) and the remaining 10% on reactive (unplanned) maintenance work? There are many activities these “best-in-class” organizations do exceptionally well to achieve this high level of proactive maintenance performance. This article will look at how a greater understanding of failure will help your organization develop the right mindset to achieve “best-in-class” proactive maintenance performance levels.

Read More

The Forgotten Capital Spares

By Robert Smith, May 26, 2020


Preservation Program


What are Capital Spares?

A Capital Spare is a piece of equipment, or a spare part, of significant cost that is maintained in inventory for use in the event that a similar piece of critical equipment fails or must be rebuilt.

Read More

Facilitation is the Key to Successful FMEAs

By Robert Smith, October 19, 2017

The Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) is a versatile risk management tool that has been around for several decades, first used by the US Armed Forces in 1949. It started gaining popularity in the 1960’s with its use in the aerospace industry during the Apollo missions. FMEA has been called the “swiss army knife” of risk management. FMEA is focused on problem prevention, rather than problem solving. It is used to identify the factors that can lead to failure and recommend mitigation strategies to prevent failures or detect the early onset of failures.

Read More
How to Understand ASTM E2500